Grand Canyon Railroad Station

Also known as: Grand Canyon Depot
Grand Canyon National Park Rte. 8A, Grand Canyon, Arizona

Photos 

Railroad Depot

1. Photocopy of measured drawing (original in the possession of Grand Canyon National Park Engineer's Office) Sheet No. 1 of 6 entitled 'STATION TO BE BUILD AT GRAND CANYON, ARIZ. FOR THE GRAND CANYON RAILROAD COMPANY' Francis W. Wilson, architect, c. 1905 FRONT ELEVATION AND FOUNDATION PLAN

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Constructed in 1909-10, this is the only remaining structural log railroad depot in the country. Built for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, it helped establish the rustic sense of place of the Grand Canyon by being the first building the railway passengers encountered upon arriving. Symbolic of the "destination resort" that the railroad developed Grand Canyon into, it is one of the handful of rustic depots constructed. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 28, 1987

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 1974
Reference number
74000337
Areas of significance
Transportation; Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1909

Sources