Michigan Central Railroad Depot

Also known as: Gandy Dancer
401 Depot St., Ann Arbor, Michigan

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen in January 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

Built in 1886, and conceived by Frederick Spier, the design of this granite block building was influenced by the great American architect Henry Hobson Richardson. The massive two-foot thick walls are balanced by simple precise detailing. Carefully preserved, this depot is a symbol of the elegance and vitality of nineteenth century rail transportation.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1975
Reference number
75000963
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Current functions
Rail-related; Restaurant
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1886
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • January 29, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen

Sources