Southern Railway Depot

Also known as: Batesburg Boy Scout Hut
SE corner of Perry and Wilson Sts., Batesburg, South Carolina

Photo 

Southern Railway Depot

Photo taken by Michael Miller in October 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Southern Railway Depot was built in ca. 1900 to serve Batesburg’s rail transportation. This railroad traffic was a key factor in the growth of the town of Batesburg in the early twentieth century. The building was acquired by the Batesburg Woman’s Club in the late 1950s to prevent demolition. It was relocated from its original location ca. 1960 to its present site in a residential neighborhood, thereafter used as a meeting place for local Boy Scouts. The depot is a one-story weatherboarded frame building with a bellcast hip roof. It has patterned metal shingle roofing and sawn wooden brackets supporting the deep eaves. A small shed-roofed louvered dormer pierces the front slope of the roof. A three-sided bay projects from the center of the façade, with single one-over-one windows to either side. Two single and one double entrance are at the ends of the façade. The building has lost integrity of location, setting, feeling, and association. Integrity of design, materials, and craftsmanship are intact. Listed in the National Register May 27, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 27, 1983
Reference number
83002202
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Current function
Meeting hall
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1900

Update Log 

  • October 11, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources