Kershaw Depot

Also known as: Welsh's Station, Southern Railway Depot
Cleveland St., Kershaw, South Carolina

Photos 

Kershaw Depot

Former Southern Railway Depot in Kershaw, SC (Lancaster Co.) is now occupied by the Haile Gold Mine.

2012 Photo

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Description 

Since it's railroad life ended, it has been a floral store and is now office for Haile Gold Mine.

A historical marker nearby reads in part --

(Reverse) This depot, built in 1926 by the Southern Railway, replaced a late 19th-early 20th century passenger and freight depot/cotton platform which burned that year. It is typical of 20th-century depots built throughout the Southeast. Primarily a passenger station, it also handled cotton and textile products from nearby farms and textile or cotton oil mills. The Kershaw Depot was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990./ Erected by the Lancaster County History Commission, 2002

County: Lancaster

Location: at the Kershaw Depot, N. Cleveland St., Kershaw

Marker ID: 29-25

The Kershaw Depot, built in 1926, is significant both as an intact example of early twentieth-century depots built in South Carolina and for its association with the transportation of passengers and freight on the Southern Railway from about 1926-1940. It was the second or third depot built in Kershaw, which developed in the 1880s after railroad service was introduced to that section of Lancaster County. This depot replaced an earlier passenger and freight depot/cotton platform that burned in 1926. Its primary use was to handle passengers; it also handled cotton, cottonseed and cotton oil products from nearby farms and cotton oil mills, and textiles from nearby textile mills. The interior plan is basically intact with a central ticketing area flanked by white and “colored” waiting areas. Men’s and women’s lounges and restrooms are located in the south end, adjacent to the white waiting area. Storage and loading areas are located at the opposite end and have been divided but this has not permanently damaged its integrity. Details such as beaded-board paneling on the ceilings and walls, and the ticket counter, are intact. The Southern Railway sold the depot to the present owners in 1945. It has since been used as a florist and craft shop. Listed in the National Register February 16, 1990. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1990
Reference number
90000096
Architectural style
American Movement
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1926

Update Log 

  • August 31, 2018: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • August 26, 2018: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"
  • December 20, 2012: New Street View added by Joseph Hinson
  • December 2, 2012: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Updated history
  • December 1, 2012: New Street View added by Andrew Wood
  • November 30, 2012: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Sources