Pinewood Depot

Jct. of East Ave. and Clarke St., Pinewood, South Carolina

Photo 

Pinewood Depot

Railroad depot in Pinewood, SC. (Sumter Co.)

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in the late 1880s by the Manchester and Augusta Railroad, this depot in Pinewood, SC is the only railroad station still standing in Sumter County. The railroad soon became part of the Atlantic Coast Line and later the Seaboard Coast Line. In the 1990s, CSX sold the building back to the town. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Pinewood was founded in 1888 when the railroad made this rural community a station on the line to Sumter. The Pinewood Depot was erected by 1889 in the center of the village and was the center of the community during the heyday of the railroad. It is a one-story gable end building with a metal roof and board and batten siding. The wide eaves of the roof are supported by curved knee braces and the ends of the rafters are sawn to form an ellipse. Though abandoned for use after passenger rail transportation ceased in the mid-twentieth century, the depot is still viewed by residents of Pinewood as an important landmark. It is symbolic of the importance of rail transportation in the rural agricultural communities of the state. The depot was a conduit not only for travel, but also for mail, the transportation of goods, and was a window to the outside world. Most importantly, the Pinewood Depot is the last railroad depot standing in Sumter County. Listed in the National Register June 10, 1997 - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1997
Reference number
97000535
Architectural style
American Movement
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Current function
Rail-related
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1889

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • October 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • January 29, 2013: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Added photo and more history
  • January 29, 2013: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Sources