Wink Theater

115 W. Crawford Street, Dalton, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1941 by J.C.H. Wink, the Historic Wink Theatre is one of the oldest structures in downtown Dalton. The only example of Art Moderne architecture remaining in North Georgia, the theatre was built to be a small town version of the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. After closing around 1980, the theater sat vacant for about 20 years until in 1998, Troy Hall, a local businessman, purchased the theater and started restoration work which wasn't finished until 2002. At that time it reopened as a movie theater and concert venue and was operated as such until Rock Bridge Community Church puchased the property. It is currently being operated as a church.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 5, 1988
Reference number
88001831
NR name
Dalton Commercial Historic District
Architectural styles
American Movement; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian
Areas of significance
Industry; Community Planning and Development; Commerce; Entertainment/Recreation; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 78
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 17

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • October 13, 2013: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 2, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Corrected GPS coordinates
  • July 1, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt

Related landmarks 

Sources