Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
The Vermontville Methodist Episcopal Church is a simple, Late Victorian, rectangular, gable-roof, white-painted, clapboard-sided building. It is now sheathed in aluminum siding. The church has pointed-arch stained glass windows and is fronted by a bracketed, square tower topped by a belfry with louvered openings (a tall spire has disappeared). The sanctuary retains its Late Victorian pews and chancel rail adn has a panelled, pressed-metal ceiling. A two-story, gable-roofed parish house is attached to the side of the church building.
Statement of Significance
The Vermontville Methodist Episcopal Church has historical significance as one of the two early church organizations in Vermontville. A Methodist class was organized in the Vermontville vicinity as early 1845, meeting in schools and private homes. The class was visited periodically by circuit preachers on the Eaton circuit. In September, 1859, the Michigan Methodist Conference voted Vermontville a separate church and installed the Reverend Josiah Fowler as pastor. In 1862 the present church building was constructed for the congregation at a site two miles northeast of the village of Vermontville at a cost of $1,600. In September, 1877 the church building was moved on log rollers to its present village square site in Vermontville. Following repairs and renovation, including the addition of the belfry and tower, the church was rededicated on January 8, 1878. The parish house was constructed in 1889.
Vermontville United Methodist Church
VERMONTVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH A Methodist class was organized in this area in 1845. Early worship services, held in private homes and local schools, were conducted by preachers traveling the Eaton circuit. In 1859 the Michigan Methodist Conference made Vermontville a separate charge and installed the Reverend Josiah Fowler as its pastor. In 1862 this church was constructed at a site two miles northeast of this location. It was moved here in 1877. After the completion of repairs and renovation, including the addition of a belfry and tower, the church was rededicated on this site on January 8, 1878. The handsome Late Victorian-style church with its pointed-arch stained-glass windows is the home of one of the town's oldest religious organizations.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1862, 1877
Registry Type(s) 08/20/1986 Marker erected
02/26/1985 State Register listed
Site ID# P22999