Bulow Plantation Ruins

Also known as: Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park
3165 Old Kings Rd S, Flagler Beach, FL

Sugar mill

Photos 

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in May 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

In 1821, Major Charles Wilhelm Bulow acquired 4,675 acres of wilderness bordering a tidal creek that would bear his name. Using slave labor, he cleared 2,200 acres and planted sugar cane, cotton, rice and indigo. Soon after the plantation was established, Major Bulow died and his son John took over operations. The plantation prospered until the outbreak of the Second Seminole War. After the war, the plantation was abandoned. In 1836, the Seminoles burned 'Bulowville' along with other plantations in the area. All that is left today are the coquina ruins of the sugar mill, several wells, a spring house and the crumbling foundation of the mansion. The cleared fields have been reclaimed by the forest, and the area looks much as it did when it belonged to the Seminoles.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1970
Reference number
70000185
Areas of significance
Industry; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant year
1836
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 6

Update Log 

  • July 21, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt

Sources