Villanow

Photo 

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in July 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Ante-bellum cross-roads settlement; name taken from Jane Porter`s novel: `Thaddeus of Warsaw.` May 7, 1864, Kilpatrick`s Cav., having crossed Taylor`s Ridge at Nickajack Gap, moved to Gordon`s Springs where it was joined by Ireland`s brigade (Geary`s Div., 20th A.C.). May 8, these troops moved to Villanow to meet & support McPherson`s forces moving E. from Ship`s & Gordon Springs Gaps in Taylor`s Ridge. McPherson`s troops reached Villanow at noon & continued E. to Snake Creek Gap - a surprise move to outflank Johnston`s forces at Dalton. The seizure of Snake Cr. Gap was effected while Geary`s Div. (20th A.C.) attacked Dug Gap.

[146-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1953]

Update Log 

  • July 27, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt

Sources