The Lincoln Depot
Also known as: Great Western Railroad Depot10th & Monore Springfield, IL
The Lincoln Depot Marker
Photo taken by Karen Bittinger in May 2004
+39.79935, -89.6421739°47'58" N, 89°38'32" W
The depot was built in 1852. "Its period of significance is 1852-1941, the years it was associated with the Great Western and Wabash railroads. It became a tourist destination for its association with Abraham Lincoln, who gave his farewell address here to the city before leaving for Washington, D.C. in 1861. It was first designated a local landmark in 1915" - from the nomination form. The depot was added to the NRHP in Aug 2014.
- July 19, 2017: Updated by Jim Allen: added description
- August 14, 2010: Added by Karen Bittinger