New Portage Tunnel

Gallitzin, PA

Southermost of three bores through Tunnel Hill, Gallitzin, PA

Map 

Description 

Built by Commonwealth of PA from 1852 to 1855 as part of the New Portage Railroad. Purchased by Pennsylvania RR in 1857 and taken out of service shortly thereafter. Reactivated by PRR in 1890's and double-tracked. Used by eastbound railroad traffic due to the steep 2.2 percent downgrade west to east.

Update Log 

  • August 24, 2010: Added by Curtis Lee

Sources 

  • Curtis Lee - clee47ford [at] yahoo [dot] com