Minertown-Oneva

Just off WI 32 in the Nicolet National Forest, near Carter, Wisconsin

Photo 

Minertown-Oneva

National Park Service, NRHP

View this photo at nps.gov

Map 

Description 

In 1899, brothers Wilbur and Henry T. Miner from Vernon County, WI, purchased a 4,000 acre tract in Forest County, Wisconsin, where they constructed a sawmill and related settlement known as Minertown. The settlement included a boarding house and company store for those employed by the Miner Lumber Company, as well as a planning mill, roundhouse, depot, store, a blacksmith shop, a cook shanty, several small four-room houses, and a barn. In 1931, the mill was destroyed by fire and the remaining community was subsequently abandoned. Today, the Minertown-Oneva site is significant for its potential to provide information relevant to late nineteenth century settlement of Forest County, as well as the history of Wisconsinís hardwood logging era.

Added to the NRHP on May 4, 2010.

Update Log 

  • September 13, 2010: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources 

  • J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Wikipedia