Kirby-Quinton Cabin

141 N. Main St, Jasper, GA


Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt



Street View 


Credit for preserving this cabin belongs to Ed Jenkins, former 9th District Congressman. When the log structure was discovered among the ruin s of a burned home on Dunbean Hill, Jenkins gave the remains to the late Tom Quinton, teacher at Jasper Elementary School. After Tom’s death, the School System transferred the cabin to Marble Valley Historical Society. it was moved adjacent the Old Jail. The cabin was originally located on Dunbean Hill , Hwy. 53 East, Jasper. It is believed that the cabin was originally owned by Charles “Tsali” Dunbean, Cherokee, who lived on the Old Federal Road. Tsali was relocated to OK in 1838 as part of the removal of Cherokee Indians from North Georgia under President Andrew Jackson. Stephen Kirby, originally of Spartanburg Co, SC moved to Pickens County in 1862, purchasing the former Dunbean property. Stephen K1rby’s SC family chose not to move to North GA and after seven years in, Pickens Co., he divorced his SC wife and married Mary Mann in 1869. Adding on to the original cabin, the Kirby family of Stephen, Mary and five children lived in the cabin until their deaths. Stephen had been quite active in community affairs in SC and in Pickens Co. He established the first public school in Jasper – Kirby Academy. He paid all of the school bills until shortly before his death. lie was an active and contributing member of the Jasper Methodist Church. He and Mary arc buried in the cemetery adjacent to the church in Jasper. The Kirby Quinton Cabin has been used to teach students about their mountain heritage and life on the north Georgia frontier. Furnishings in the old cabin came from the Williams family of the Yellow Creek

-- pam phillips


Georgia (3,071)
Have Street View (44,835)
House (27,585)
Log cabin (33)
Pickens County, Georgia (24)

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2010: New Street View added by Eddie Douthitt
  • October 3, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt