2nd Baptist Church
Also known as: Town Clock Church300 E Main St New Albany, Indiana
Church that was a stop on the underground railroad
+38.28438, -85.8196438°17'04" N, 85°49'11" W
Quadrangle map:New Albany
This church building was built from 1849-52 for the 2nd Presbyterian congregation. The church was was known as the Town Clock Church was a known as a landmark by river pilots along the Ohio River. The church was also known for its open "secret" as a station along the Underground Railroad. The small openings and rooms in the dirt basement of the church remain as they did when fugitive slaves hid while seeking safety in the north.
The church was sold to the Second Baptist Church in 1889. The building continues to serve the congregation of the Second Baptist Church.
- October 20, 2010: Updated by J.P.: added category
- October 9, 2010: Added by J.P.