New Albany Carnegie Library
Corner of Spring and Bank Street
A Carnegie Library in New Albany Indiana
+38.28667, -85.8217938°17'12" N, 85°49'18" W
Quadrangle map:New Albany
New Albany School Board organized a public library on May 8, 1884. This library building, supported with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on March 2, 1904 with 11, 125 volumes. Building is Neoclassical style, constructed of brick and limestone. Public Library moved to new building 1969.
Floyd County Museum opened here 1971. Carnegie building included in Downtown Historic District, listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999. One of 1, 679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state.
- October 9, 2010: Added by J.P.