Old Elbert County Jail
24 South Oliver Street, Elberton, GA
Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt
+34.10957, -82.8687734°06'34" N, 82°52'08" W
Designed by Pauly Jail Building Company of St. Louis, Missouri in 1893.
Federal styled building with dentil moldings on the roof line, segmental arches framing the windows, and a porch.
The windows' ledges and the foundation are made from local gray granite.
The sheriff's residence was located in the front of the building and the jail portion in the rear.
Cells for female prisoners and the mentally incompetent prisoners were located on the first floor.
Cells for male prisoners were located on the second floor.
Original iron cells on the second floor were replaced in 1937.
The carport was enclosed in the 1980's to make office space.
Served both as the Elbert County Jail and Sheriff's residence from 1894 through 1976.
Used as a correctional facility for the county from 1977 to around 1992.
Housed the office of the magistrate (1980's) and the senior superior court judge's chamber from 1992 until 2001.
Vacant from 2001 through 2007.
Elbert County Board of Commissioners leased the building to the Jim-Ree African American Museum, Inc. in March of 2007, which operates there now.
- December 3, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View"
- December 8, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt
- Eddie Douthitt - eddied1962 [at] charter [dot] net
- Pauly Jail Company - Company that built the jail is still in business
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com