KY 135, 2 miles east of Tolu, KY
+37.41711, -88.1963437°25'02" N, 88°11'47" W
"Built 1/4 mile southeast in 1850 by Andrew Jackson, Jr. Also known as Jackson Furnace. As rebuilt in 1856, it was 34 ft. high, with a maximum inner diameter of 10 ft. In 6 months of 1857, made 1200 tons of iron from ores of the Jackson Bank, two mi. south. Its soft iron was prized by rolling mills. Operations ceased in the early 1860s. See other side.
(Reverse) Iron Made in Kentucky - A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Old charcoal furnace era ended by depletion of ore and timber and the growth of railroads. See over."
- April 25, 2011: Added by Bill Eichelberger