Krape Park Carousel

Krape Park, Freeport, Illinois

An Allan Herschell Model 268 Classic Metal Carousel in its original position.

Photos 

Overview Looking East

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Allan Herschell, Model 268, Classic Metal Carousel, 2 rows, portable metal composition carousel with 20 jumping horses and 1 chariot. It was donated to the city by the late Robert Koenig, who served on the Freeport Park Board of Commissioners from 1942 to 1960. It opened on July 4, 1959 and has been in continuous operation since then, in the same location.

In 1995, the carousel was refurbished including painting the horses, changing the lighting, adding a ticket booth and adding a wheelchair ramp for the chariot.

Also added were 12 portraits and landscapes on the outer rim. The portraits are of local/regional celebrities, including Robert F. Koenig, Jane Addams, Chief Winneshiek, Tutty Baker, Dr. W.W. Krape, and General Smith D. Atkins. The landmark paintings are those of the old Stephenson county Courthouse, Brown’s Mill, a farm scene, Freeport High School, First Presbyterian Church and Krape Park waterfall.

According to the park's website, the carousel gives 50,000 rides per year (at 50˘ a ticket) so it has given over 2 million rides since 1959.

Update Log 

  • July 23, 2011: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources