First Baptist Church

On the corner of High School Ave and Dale St, Columbia, MS

Photo 

First Baptist Church Marker

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Description 

The text on the marker reads: First Baptist Church In 1883, Pastor T.S. Howell from Bunker Hill Church in rural Marion County, and six local believers met at the courthouse to organize a Baptist church within the city limits of Columbia. Early meetings were held in the courthouse, the Masonic Hall, and the Methodist Church. It was not until 1890 that the first sanctuary was erected on Dale St near the city cemetery. The First Baptist Church moved to this location on High School Ave in 1912. The Congregation hosted The Mississippi Baptist Convention in 1913.

Update Log 

  • November 29, 2011: Added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources 

  • Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com