Meridian Road, Marengo, Indiana
+38.37785, -86.3479438°22'40" N, 86°20'53" W
"John M. Johnson opened a private school in Marengo 1869 with 60 students. He designed a course of study to provide an opportunity for students to move beyond common school (elementary) education. In 1874, Johnson renamed it Marengo Academy in a new building located here. School open to all students, male and female, regardless of ability to pay.
Courses included algebra, geometry, surveying, German, Latin, Greek. Johnson retired from teaching 1902. By 1910, Marengo Academy building had been torn down. Johnson died 1918. Academy was one of many private institutions that provided expanded educational opportunities for Indiana students before public secondary education was widely available."
- December 5, 2011: Added by Bill Eichelberger