The Piney Woods School

A Mississippi Historical Marker on the Piney Woods School Campus.

Photo 

The Piney Woods School

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1909, by Dr. Laurence Clifton Jones, who came to Mississippi to further the education of the African American community. The Piney Woods School wonce housed the Mississippi Colored School for the Blind. Dr. Jones presided over the school until 1974, and died in 1975

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2011: Added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources 

  • Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com