St. Marks Episcopal Church

W Pearl St

A Mississippi History Marker in Jackson, MS

Photo 

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Street View 

Description 

St. Mark's Episcopal Church This church, orginized in 1883, began as a Sunday School mission to blacks under the episcopate of Bishop Hugh M Thompson. The first instructor was a Mr. Williams, an African American. The Rev. Richard T Middleton became the first priest in 1904. This building was constructed in 1927 under the leadership of the Rev. James T Jeffery. It housed a day school and the Fannie Johnson Memorial Clinic for the needy, regardless of race or creed. Parish status was attained in 1983, under the Rt. Rev. Duncan M Gray, Jr., Bishop

Update Log 

  • December 28, 2011: Added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources 

  • Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com