711 High St
A Mississippi History Marker in front of Carter Jewelers
Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn
+32.30436, -90.1787332°18'16" N, 90°10'43" W
Established in 1849 by Carl J. Von Seutter as the Carl J. Von Seutter Jewelry and Art Emporium, this business was once located in the Majestic Arcade Building on Capitol Street. In 1918, one of Von Seutter's employees, John C. Carter, purchased the store. After his death in 1946, Lee G. Letwinger bought the business and moved it to this location. Purchased by Jerry Lake in 1997, Carter Jewelers is considered one of the oldest continuously operating jewelry businesses in the United States.
- December 31, 2011: Added by Jeff Lovorn
- Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com