First Christian Church

A Mississippi History Marker in Columbus, MS

Photo 

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Street View 

Description 

First Christian Church

Founded, 1839, through efforts of Talbert Fanning and David Lipscomb. Present structure, erected 1849-50, housed refugee State Senate in Civil War. Here Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Agreement was signed in 1958.

The building referred to on the marker was torn down in 1968 and the church built a new building at 811 North McCrary Road

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2012: Added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources 

  • Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com