A.P. Woodson and Leigh Yawkey Woodson House
410 McIndoe Street, Wausau, Wisconsin
Prairie School of Design mansion built in 1914, now serving the Marathon County Historical Society
Overview Looking Northeast
The Woodsons built this home across the street from Leigh Yawkey Woodson's parents. A.P and Leigh were married in 1911 and lived in Kansas City, where he was practicing law. In 1914, Cyrus Yawkey offered Woodson a position in the Wausau Group, so he and Leigh moved here to live in this Prairie School home.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2012
+44.96403, -89.6257144°57'51" N, 89°37'33" W
Quadrangle map:Wausau West
Designed by George Maher in the style of the Prairie School of Design, this house was built for A.P. Woodson and his wife, Leigh Yawkey Woodson. Leigh was the daughter of Cyrus and Alice Yawkey, who built the beautiful home across the street in 1900-1901.
Note the Prairie School elements such as the low, long roofline, wide eaves and ribbon windows. Also note the exterior decor elements; these are carried over to the interior.
In 1956, the family sold the house to the Immanuel Baptist Church. In 1995, the Marathon County Historical Society bought the house from the church. Today, it houses administrative offices and displays artifacts that are owned by the society.
- August 12, 2012: Added by J.R. Manning