Opera House Square, High Avenue and Market Street, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Civil War Monument commissioned by John Hicks in memory of his father, who died in the Civil War
That's the Grand Opera House in the background. The monument stands in Opera House Square.
Note the incredible detail in the sculpture.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2012
+44.01729, -88.5383844°01'02" N, 88°32'18" W
The Soldiers' Monument, located in downtown Opera House Square was given to the city of Oshkosh July 8, 1907, by John Hicks to honor Civil War veterans. It also serves as a memorial to Hicks' father, who served in Wisconsin's historical 32nd Division, who died in the Civil War.
The sculpture was created by Gaetano Trentanove, the Italian artisan who maintained studios in Milwaukee and Florence, Italy. The 4-ton statue was cast by Galli Brothers in Florence. It is 12' tall, 6'8" wide and stands on a 10' tall base.
The statue has three figures, an officer, a private and a buglar. The sides feature bronze laurel wreaths listing battles in which Wisconsin soldiers participated.
The sculpture was restored and rededicated in 2003.
- August 3, 2017: New photo from J.R. Manning
- August 18, 2012: Added by J.R. Manning