A 1951 EMD FP-7 Locomotive leads a 3-car train, stuffed and mounted in Beadle Park in Cresco
When the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (The Milwaukee Road) entered bankruptcy in 1984, the FP-7 locomotive and boxcar were purchased and brought to Cresco on abandoned Milwaukee Road rail lines. A special arrangement was made with the scrappers to leave the rails in place long enough for the FP-7 locomotive and adjacent boxcar to be brought to Cresco. At the time of its acquisition, the locomotive was not operational. It has been restored to operating condition, but for lack of rails, will most likely never operate again.
This locomotive, numbered 101A, was the first of a series ordered from Electro Motive Division of General Motors in 1951 by the Milwaukee Road. It was operated for more than 2.2 million miles in its operational life between 1951 and 1980.
The caboose was added in 1984 and the flatcar in 1985. With no rails left in place, they were brought in by truck.