Railroad station in Staunton, Va. sees new use..... and also old use, too!
-- The station that now stands in the center of this site dates back to 1902. It was designed by noted architect Thomas Jasper Collins in the Bungalow style. It was the third of three passenger stations built at this spot.
-- The first station was burned to the ground by Union Troops during the Civil War when Union Major-General David Hunter arrived in June of 1864 to cut the supply, communications, and railway lines. The rest of the town was spared.
-- A second station was built, but was destroyed by a runaway train in the 1890s.
-- From About 2004 to 2009, the old station was home to the Pullman Restaurant. It now sits mostly unused.
-- The current station facility is the former telegraph tower from when the Staunton Station functioned as a full passenger and freight railroad depot. While the platform still functions as the railroad platform for loading and unloading passengers, the former station buildings are now occupied by restaurants and shops.