Roshek Brothers Department Store

Also known as: Dubuque Building, CyCare Plaza, Roshek Building
250 W. 8th Street, Dubuque, Iowa

At 9 stories, the tallest building in Dubuque and the former home of the Roshek Brothers Department Store

Photos 

The View from Atop the Bluff

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A 9 story Beaux Arts brick building with Terra Cotta decor. Designed by Charles Wheeler Nicol and William Lewis Yokum, the building was built in two sections. The first part was built between 1929 and 1931, the second portion was completed in 1932.

Roshek management elected to move to a smaller location in the Kennedy Mall, west of town, in the 1960s with the new store opening in 1970. The family sold the company to Gambles-Skogmo, Inc. and the store subsequently closed in 1982.

This building, meanwhile, became an office building after the store moved out, and for the most part, was known as the Dubuque Building. Today, it is known as the Roshek Building, and houses offices for IBM, a restaurant and several retail operations. On some official drawings from the City of Dubuque, it is still listed as the Dubuque Building.

The distinctive canopies and grand entrance ways exist as they did in the heyday of the Roshek Brothers Department Store. It was added to the NRHP on March 17, 2010.

Update Log 

  • May 11, 2013: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources