William Maclay Mansion
Also known as: Pennsylvania Bar Association building401 N Front St
Began as a gray limestone farmhouse owned by William McClay. Now a Georgian Revival housing the PBA.
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in April 21, 2013
+40.26195, -76.8877640°15'43" N, 76°53'16" W
Quadrangle map:Harrisburg West
"Maclay's dwelling originally had the appearance of a simple stone farmhouse with high foundation and elevated first floor. In 1908, the home was purchased by William E. Bailey, a descendant of an early Harrisburg iron and steel industrialist family, who enlisted the expertise of City architect Miller Kast to transform the house into a Georgian Revival masterpiece. At that time, additions were made to the north, where a building housing the Harrisburg Academy once stood, and to the east."
- May 26, 2013: Added by Jodi Christman