Historical Town Clock, Relocated a block and a half south of its original location in 1971
The second town clock was built in 1873 atop a new building. The mechanical clock was accurate to within two seconds every week, but required two workers to spend 90 minutes every week, turning cranks to reset the weights that drove the clock for 7 days.
In 1927, a new, electrified works was installed that was kept accurate by Western Union.
In 1971, in the wave of "urban renewal" that was sweeping the country, the City of Dubuque closed off several blocks of Main Street to build a pedestrian mall. The clock was moved to its current location to be the centerpiece of the mall. Recently, Dubuque discovered that the mall wasn't viable, and reopened Main Street to traffic. A small traffic circle was built around the clock tower.
The clock tower remains in the middle of that traffic circle.