Milwaukee Pierhead Light
Milwaukee Harbor entry N. pier, SE. corner of H.W. Maier Festival Park
A round steel tower with a round gallery and a ten-sided lantern
The pierhead light was painted circa 2007.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2010
+43.02595, -87.8953143°01'33" N, 87°53'43" W
A light was established here in 1872. This light was first lit in 1906, and was tended by the tender of the North Point Light Station until it was automated circa 1939. The light consists of a round steel tower with a round gallery and a ten-sided lantern. The original fourth order Fresnel lens was removed and placed in the breakwater light (seen in the distance in the photo) to the east of this light in 1926. It was replaced by a fifth order Fresnel lens that was removed in 2005 and (reportedly) is on display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc.
Today, the light is a modern optic that flashes red every 4 seconds and can be seen 7 miles at sea.
It is located at the mouth of the Milwaukee River, on the southeast corner of the Henry Meier Festival Grounds and east of the Hoan Bridge.
It was added to the NRHP on November 21, 2012.
- May 24, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- August 11, 2013: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com