Steel Tower Lighthouse with External Bracing, keeper's quarters and other structures
A third order Fresnel lens projects the red beam 14 miles to sea.
A steam operated fog signal was replaced with a compressed air diaphone in 1925, along with a radio signal. Mariners calculated the difference between the radio signal and the audible signal to determine distance from the island.
The Devils Island light station was the last manned light on the Apostle Islands, as the other lights were automated. The light was automated in 1978, ending over 100 years of Coast Guard light service on the Apostle Islands.
Today, during the summer, volunteer light keepers man the station for those hardy enough to make the trip from Bayfield to the island. Tours are available in the morning and afternoon, check with the NPS before making plans.