George Watts & Son
761 N Jefferson St Milwaukee, WI
Retail establishment selling fine china, crystal and art since 1870
Overview Looking Northwest
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in September 2013
+43.04017, -87.9055643°02'25" N, 87°54'20" W
George Watts began his career in a southside china shop in 1870. In 1879, he bought the store and moved it to the north side of Milwaukee. After the death of George, his son Howard, designed a new retail store, an Italian Renaissance Revival building with glazed terra-cotta tile and trim.
Howard's son, George, entered the business after serving in the Marines in WWII. George was a prominent citizen in Milwaukee. Today, the fourth generation of the Watts family is operating the store.
The building features flowered rosettes, arched windows with ribbon trim and an ornate cornice. George Watts & Son, and the George Watts Tea Room, were noted Milwaukee landmarks.
The Watts businesses closed on December 31, 2016, and the building has since been sold.
- January 31, 2018: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- June 9, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated NRHP Status
- September 14, 2013: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- National Register database - Reference number 86002325