Jackson County Courthouse
307 Main Street, Black River Falls, Wisconsin
1878 Courthouse not eligible for the NRHP
Oblique View Looking Northeast
Note the flat top of the tower.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2013
+44.29537, -90.8513644°17'43" N, 90°51'05" W
Quadrangle map:Black River Falls
The Jackson County Courthouse was built in 1878, it was the third courthouse built. The first one was started in 1857 but burned to the foundation before it was completed. The second courthouse was built in 1862 but it was sold, and moved. This courthouse was built in 1878 and included a massive tower, similar to the tower on the old Union High School
, up the hill from the courthouse.
An addition was built to the north side of the building in 1937 and at that time, the tower was removed. A new jail was built in 1960, which was subsequently replaced by a new jail in 1986.
The courthouse is not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places because of its loss of integrity.
- October 6, 2013: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com