Forsyth County Courthouse

100 Courthouse Square, Cumming, Georgia

County courthouse building in Cumming, GA


Forsyth County Courthouse (Old)

Photo taken by Michael Miller


Street View 


Historic Markers read: FORSYTH COUNTY Forsyth County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. It was named for Gov. John Forsyth (1780-1841), a native of Frederick Co., Va., a graduate of Princeton, and gifted Georgia lawyer. He was Attorney- General of Ga., Congressman, Senator, Minister to Spain, Governor, and Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren. First officers of Forsyth County, commissioned April 20, 1833, were: John Blaylock, Clerk of Superior Court; Thomas Burford, County Surveyor; Alston B. Wilborn, Coroner. Hubbard Barker was commissioned Sheriff, January 31, 1834. 058-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956

The other plaque says: COLONEL WILLIAM CUMMING The town of Cumming (incorporated 1834) is named in honor of Col. William Cumming, distinguished Georgia, born July 27, 1788, son of Thomas Cumming and Ann Clay, daughter of Joseph Clay, of Savannah. William Cumming graduated from the College of New Jersey at Princeton and studied law at Gould’s Law School, Litchfield, Connecticut. The War of 1812 brought him military prominence. Captain of the Augusta Independent Blues in 1812, he was commissioned Major, U.S.A., in 1813, and appointed Adjutant General of the Northern Army the following year with the rank of Colonel. In 1815, however, he resigned from the Army and the Board of War, on which he served. Although in 1818 he was appointed Quartermaster General of the Army by President

The statue is of John Forsyth the county is named after him

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2015: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • October 31, 2013: Added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 


  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • pam phillips