Southern Railway Depot
Also known as: Ninety-Six Senior Center, Ninety-Six Depot99 Highway 34, Ninety-Six, SC
Historic railroad depot in Ninety-Six, SC
+34.17471, -82.0242434°10'29" N, 82°01'27" W
Quadrangle map:Ninety Six
The Southern Railway Depot, constructed in 1915, is architecturally significant as an excellent example of small-town combination passenger and freight depot from the early twentieth century. The depot was a key feature in the development of Ninety Six. The economic growth in Ninety Six during the early twentieth century precipitated the construction of a new depot, and the architecture displays the functional considerations of early twentieth century railroad depots in the American South. For example, the flared eaves of the hipped roof project from the building to provide additional shelter during bad weather for passengers and freight awaiting trains. Likewise, the rectangular shape, bay window, and station masterís room served functional purposes. The bay window allowed railroad agents in the office to look both ways along the track and signal trains from either direction. The centrality of the ticket office also allowed for efficient passenger service. East and west of the station masterís room were the segregated waiting rooms. The east waiting room was reserved for whites, while the black waiting room was located between the station masterís office and the freight room. On the far west side of the building was a freight room and cotton platform which benefited the townís cotton milling industry. Listed in the National Register October 6, 2011. - SCDAH
- April 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "NRHP Record Number"
- November 4, 2013: Added by Michael Miller