Mission of Nombre de Dios

100 San Marco Avenue, St. Augustine, FL

Photo 

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Nombre de Dios is a Spanish Catholic mission in St. Augustine, Florida, United States. The mission traces its origins to September 8, 1565, when Admiral Pedro MenÚndez de AvilÚs landed with a band of settlers to found St. Augustine. A formal Franciscan mission was founded near the city in 1587, perhaps the first mission in the continental United States.[1] The mission served nearby villages of the Mocama, a Timucua group, and was at the center of an important chiefdom in the late 16th and 17th century. First the Jesuits and later the Franciscans ministered to the resident Spanish colonists, and made some efforts to evangelize the local Mocama and Agua Dulce peoples near St. Augustine. They were particularly successful in the Mocama village known as Nombre de Dios, converting the chief and her daughter. In 1587, at the beginning of the Franciscans' first major missionization push, a mission was founded at Nombre de Dios, served by a resident friar. - Wikipedia

Tags 

Church (5,400)
Florida (1,783)
Have Street View (34,824)
Place of worship (5,749)
St. Johns County, Florida (50)

Update Log 

  • August 9, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 13, 2013: Added by Michael Miller

Sources 

  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com