Bass Harbor Memorial Library
89 Bernard Rd., Tremont, Maine
+44.24192, -68.3563844°14'31" N, 68°21'23" W
Quadrangle map:Bass Harbor
Criterion A: Education, Social History Criterion C: Architecture Local Significance.
The Bass Harbor Memorial Library is a one-story Colonial Revival style brick structure located in the village of Bernard in the Hancock County town of Tremont. Constructed in 1922 from plans by native son Charles Lawson, the east facing structure is set on a small grassy village lot near the center of the village. The Library was constructed with funds donated by Rhoda M. Watson, a former resident of the community, in memory of her husband Edwin L. Watson, a successful industrialist. Named for the village, the library retains a high degree of integrity of materials, workmanship, setting, location, association and feeling and, to a lesser degree, plan. The Bass Harbor Memorial Library meets the registration requirements outlined in the Multiple Property Submission “Maine Public Libraries: ca. 1750 – 1938”. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the local level of significance under Criterion A for its educational role within the town of Tremont, and as a structure that reflects the nationwide trend of philanthropic underwriting of Maine’s libraries in the 20th century (social history). The property was also eligible for listing under Criterion C as an example of a small Colonial Revival style library, with modest detailing that retains its character defining features, including Palladian windows, formal entrance with fanlight and portico, and interior plan and finishes.
- December 20, 2013: Added by Brian Bartlett