Chandler Pump Company Building

8th Street NW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Photo 

Chandler Pump Company Building

Photo taken by Dave King

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The oldest of these firms was the Chandler Pump Company started by J.A. Chandler in 1890 after being recruited by the Manufacturers and Jobbers Association, a bureau of the Cedar Rapids Board of Trade. By 1900, the company was well-known for its "Chandler Iron Pump" and was a major wholesale supplier of iron pipe, plumbers' supplies and well casings. The company's factory site included an extensive machine shop, pattern shop, iron foundry, several warehouses and an iron pipe shed. The buildings were situated on an irregular parcel located along a block of railroad sidings between B Avenue, NW and 1st Avenue. The warehouses were two-story brick buildings and the machines shops and foundry were one-story brick buildings. The company saw its product lines shift through the years and in 1952 moved operations to a new larger facility along the Illinois Central Railroad north of the downtown. The company was reorganized as Chandler Machine Products. Source: Architectural Reconnaissance Survey for St. Patrick’s Neighborhood in Cedar Rapids

Tags 

Building (4,323)
Built 1903 (796)
Built during 1900s (9,413)
Have Street View (44,508)
In operation (2,222)
Iowa (2,514)
Linn County, Iowa (114)
NR-eligible (3)

Update Log 

  • February 10, 2014: Added by Dave King