North River Mills Historic District

Jct of CR 45/20 & CR 4/2 in North River Mills, WV

Industrial Ghost Town in Hampshire County, WV

Photos 

File:Audra Croston House North River Mills WV 2007 05 12 03.jpg

Right Oblique

Photo taken by Justin A. Wilcox

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at upload.wikimedia.org

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

North River Mills Historic District is a national historic district located at North River Mills, Hampshire County, West Virginia. The district encompasses 25 contributing buildings and five contributing sites. The district lies along Hiett Run, which empties into the North River, a tributary of the Cacapon River. It has become an industrial ghost town, now visited only by summer residents and tourists. The contributing buildings include the Hiett House (c. 1770) with shed and privy; Croston House (c. 1840) and barn (c. 1910); North River Mills Grocery (c. 1810, c. 1920); Shanholtz House (c. 1930), also known as North River Mills Society for Antiquarian Arts and the Diffusion of Knowledge; North River Mills School (c. 1880); Miller House (c. 1790) and associated outbuildings; United Methodist Church (c. 1893); Kump House (c. 1805); and the Moreland House (c. 1880). Contributing sites are the cemetery associated with the Kump House, Miller Mill Site (c. 1880), Shanholtz Mill Site (c. 1930), mill pond (c. 1880), and millrace (c. 1880). - Wikipedia

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • February 14, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources