West Bowdoin Baptist Church

West Rd, West Bowdoin, Maine

Photos 

1836 West Bowdoin Baptist Church; West Rd, West Bowdoin, Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"The West Bowdoin Baptist Church was organized in 1818 as the Second Free Baptist Church of Lisbon by Elder Humphrey Purinton, Josiah Farwell, and 12 members. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse which was probably located on the old Bickford farm in Lisbon Falls. The present meeting house was built at a cost of $1,306.16 in 1836 with Rev. Nathaniel Purinton doing the masonry, and his son Albert doing the woodwork. In 1896, it incorporated as a Parish Church with Baptist affiliation and in 1976 reverted again to a strictly Baptist Church." A Pictorial History of Bowdoin, Maine 1788-1988

Update Log 

  • November 21, 2019: New photos from Brian Bartlett
  • November 19, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • February 18, 2014: Added by Brian Bartlett

Sources