Finely preserved example of a stately mansion from the halcyon days of Milwaukee's "Gold Coast" of Prospect Avenue
The Goll House is 2-1/2 story structure in brick. The Elizabethan/Jacobean revival style features timbering and decor includes carved stonework around the windows and the front entrance facing North Prospect Avenue. The pressed brick is tan in color and the mortar is tinted to the same shade.
The main entrance is between gabled, bay windows. A round-arched colonnade frames the front door, by a wrought iron grill over the window.
Frederick T. Goll (1854-1931) was a successful businessman. His wholesale dry goods firm, Goll and Frank, was founded in 1852 by his and August Frank. Their dry goods business thrived in a building, also designed by Ferry & Clas, extant at 301 N. Water Street in Milwaukee.
Mr. Goll passed on in 1931 and his widow continued to live in the mansion until 1935. It stood empty through 1936 until it became a 16-unit rooming house. In 1950 it was converted into professional offices for which it is still being used.