Columbia Central Fire Station

1001 Senate Street, Columbia, SC

Photos 

Columbia Central Fire Station, South Elevation

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Columbia Central Fire Station, constructed between 1949 and 1951, is significant as an excellent example of Moderne architecture of the early 1950s and for its association with noted South Carolina architect Heyward S. Singley. Singley designed several fire stations in Columbia between 1940 and 1954. The Columbia Central Fire Station is not only the largest but also the most architecturally distinctive of Singley’s designs. A fine example of the Moderne/International style, with its relative lack of ornamentation, flat roof, and horizontal bands of windows, the Columbia Central Fire Station consists of two buildings and a structure. The main building, a two-story masonry fire station with a rectangular plan, and the fire truck garage building, a one-story masonry building located in the northeast corner of the property, were constructed in 1949-50. The drill tower, a six-story reinforced concrete structure located near the northwest corner of the site, was constructed in 1951. The Central Fire Station served as the Columbia Fire Department’s Headquarters from 1950 until 1995, when it was abandoned for a new facility. Listed in the National Register September 25, 2009. - SCDAH

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • April 7, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources