A. Fletcher Spigner House

2028 Wheat Street, Columbia, SC


A. Fletcher Spigner House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in October 2018



Street View 


The A. Fletcher Spigner House, built in 1920, is significant architecturally as a fine local example of the Tudor Revival style designed by prominent Columbia architects Lafaye & Lafaye. The Spigner House is a two-and-a-half-story double-pile residence with a modified rectangular plan, a one-story, central front portico and a sunken basement. The house features a lateral gabled roof finished with red terra cotta tiles, exposed decorative rafter tails, and paneled fascia boards with square finial blocks at each gable peak in addition to large chimneys with limestone shoulder blocks and tapered stone caps. The walls on the first story are finished in brick veneer, while those on the second story feature vertical faux half-timbering with a finish of stucco. End gables contain vertical, diagonal and crisscrossed faux half-timbering. A balloon frame was used for the structural system. The main entrance features a wide, single-leaf door with three large lighted-candle panels with decorative leaded glass, and a large lower molded wood panel. Surrounding the door are sidelights with wooden under panels, corner lights and transom containing decorative leaded glass panels with an ivy motif. Double-hung windows throughout the house are single, paired or triple in size and feature six-over-one lights. At the rear of the property is a one-and-one-half-story lateral gabled garage with faux half-timbering, three garage bays with wooden doors, and a central wall dormer. Encircling the rear yard is a non-contributing modern brick wall, which extends as a brick pier and iron fence around the front yard. A. Fletcher Spigner was a prominent Columbia attorney, State Senator, and South Carolina's Fifth Circuit Solicitor. He served in that capacity from 1918 until his death in 1945. Listed in the National Register December 11, 2009. - SCDAH

Update Log 

  • October 18, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 3, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • April 7, 2014: Added by Michael Miller