Veterans Hospital

Also known as: William Jennings Bryan Dorn Veterans Affairs Medical Center; William Jennings Bryan Dorn Vererans Affiars Medical Center, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Historic District
Palmetto Street & Dorn Drive, Columbia, SC

Photos 

Veteran's Hospital - Main Building

Photo taken by Michael Miller on October 15, 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The William Jennings Bryan Dorn Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Historic District, referred to by its historic name Veterans Hospital, is nationally significant in the areas of architecture and health care. The historic district is representative of early to mid-twentieth century institutional architecture, and as an “architectural set” of hospitals completed throughout the country, represents a major shift in veterans health care by segregating patients based on affliction. The original buildings date to 1932, with additional buildings completed in 1937, 1945, 1946, with a large expansion in the 1970s. The campus is also significant on the local and state level for architecture, economics, and social history. The architecture attempted to reflect local character, and during the early years of the Great Depression, the construction of a large, federally funded hospital campus promised an infusion of money. Competing with other states, South Carolina won the new hospital and then witnessed a keen competition among its own cities and towns for the location of the campus. Columbia’s pursuit of the new hospital coincided with a local booster period and helped identify it as a significant, centralized city. The siting of the hospital just outside the city limits helped generate residential and commercial development in the area. Nineteen buildings and a covered walk contribute to the character of the historic district. Most of the oldest buildings feature a Georgian Colonial Revival architectural style. Vernacular structures for laundry, storage, engineering and maintenance are hidden behind the larger high-style hospital, recreation, dining, and residential buildings. The district also contains the historic landscaped front lawns which retain historic design concepts and trees. Listed in the National Register September 2, 2009. - SCDAH

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "Category" and Imported Photo
  • October 20, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • April 7, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources