Catawba Rosenwald School

3071 S.. Anderson Rd., Rock Hill, SC

Historic African-American Schoolhouse near Rock Hill, SC

Photo 

Catawba Rosenwald School

National Register Database

View this photo at nps.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Catawba School was built in 1924-25 to serve the African-American community in southeastern York County, South Carolina. It was known as the Catawba School on official lists of Rosenwald schools, but is generally known as the Liberty Hill School locally because of its association with Liberty Hill Missionary Baptist Church nearby. The school is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for its association with African- American public education and ethnic heritage. It is eligible under Criterion C as a extant example of an architectural design typically associated with schools funded in part by The Julius Rosenwald Fund. The multiple property submission The Rosenwald School Building Program in South Carolina 1917 -1932 establishes eligibility under both Criterion A (Education and Ethnic heritage- AfricanAmerican) and Criterion C (Architecture). The Catawba School meets these criteria and was a significant community institution for the African-American community in the Catawba area. It was one of twenty schools built in York County with funds from the Rosenwald program between 1917 and 1932. Of these schools, only two , the Catawba Rosenwald School and the Carroll Rosenwald School, are known to be extant. - NPS

Update Log 

  • August 21, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • April 7, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources