Bond Street Historic District
8, 9, 12, 18, 21, 22 & 25 Bond Street, Augusta, Maine
+44.32054, -69.7743144°19'14" N, 69°46'28" W
The Bond Street Historic District is a small collection of employer-built worker housing located on Bond Street in the Kennebec County city of Augusta. The seven residential units that comprise the district were built primarily in 1884 by the Edwards Manufacturing Company, a cotton factory, to house the mill workers and their families. The buildings in the district share common massing, proportion and scale, and are arranged in a tight row along paved sidewalks. Four frame, one-and-one-half story double-houses are located on the south side of the street, and a pair of frame, one-and-one-half story four-family row houses are located on the north side of the street, as is the only single family home. Taken together they represent a remarkable survival of a type of housing that was once utilized not only in this city but throughout the industrial centers of the northeast. Although the company historically also erected boarding houses and tenement houses on other streets in the immediate vicinity, these buildings represent the sole remaining concentration of nineteenth-century mill worker housing in Augusta. The Bond Street Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for the manner in which it illustrates one aspect of the development and growth of the textile industry in Augusta, and the social history that developed as a result. The district also has architectural significance as an unpretentious, purpose-built multi-family housing complex with shared design characteristics, plans, and materials. The period of significance begins in c. 1878, when the earliest of the buildings is believed to have been constructed and ends when the Company sold the buildings into private ownership in 1946.
- November 22, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
- May 9, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
- April 25, 2014: Added by Brian Bartlett