704 N. Milwaukee Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Italianate business block, one of the oldest buildings remaining in downtown Milwaukee
West (Front) Elevation
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2014
+43.03910, -87.9063043°02'21" N, 87°54'23" W
The Small Block was built in 1866 as indicated on the pediment date block. It was announced in the June 19, 1866 Milwaukee Sentinel
that Simeon N. Small intended to build on the lot he owned on Milwaukee Street, tenants began moving in in November.
Although the architect was not recorded, Milwaukee's renown architect, Edward Townsend Mix, moved his offices into the building in February of 1867.
The three story building was constructed with Cream City Brick, it had brick quoins and was built with Palladian style windows on the upper floors, typical of Italianate designs in the latter 19th Century.
- January 31, 2018: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- July 2, 2014: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com