Dixmont Town House
702 Western Ave., Dixmont, Maine
+44.68513, -69.1340744°41'06" N, 69°08'03" W
The Dixmont Town House is a building erected circa 1836 to serve as the locus of governmental functions for the Penobscot County town of Dixmont. Prior to the middle decades of the 19th century governmental functions in many rural Maine towns were held in a town-built meeting house that also served as the town’s religious edifice. As the century progressed, communities increasingly abandoned their meeting houses, built town houses for civic business and placed their churches in separate buildings. A town house is a building in which the local community would gather for elections or town meetings, the latter of which are salient features of small town democracy in Maine. As opposed to a town hall, which might have a stage or additional rooms for offices or fraternal organizations, most town houses consist of a single large assembly room, sometimes furnished with benches or seats, and perhaps a raised platform or dais at one end. As an example of the earliest incarnation of purely secular municipal buildings in Maine, the Dixmont Town House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its association with the political and governmental history of the town. The period of significance for the building commences in 1836, when the building was erected and continues until 1952, the last year town meeting was held in the building.
- July 10, 2014: Added by Brian Bartlett